Skip to content

Adobe PDF Vulnerability: Stack overflow in Font File parsing

Metasploit has a great write up on new vulnerability in PDF. The basic problem is a stack overflow when parsing OpenType fonts. In particular, SING Glyphlet tables contain a 27 byte long unique name that is expected to be NUL-terminated and stored in a 28-byte buffer. The vulnerable code is using strcat and lacks bounds checking resulting in a stack overflow.

The PDF in the wild prepares the heap via Javascript and contains multiple different font files that are selected by navigating to a specific page in the PDF based on the viewer version. Each font files has slightly different shell code. It was amusing to see that the attackers after modifying the head and SING tables did not fix up their respective checksums. According to Metasploit, this exploit works under Windows 7 with both DEP and ASLR turned on. Fun Fun. As of now, no patched version is available. The SecBrowsing blog contains instructions with temporary remedies.
Categories: Malware, News, SpyBye
Defined tags for this entry: , ,

Libevent-2.0.7-rc release

Nick announced the release of Libevent-2.0.7-rc today. Here is an excerpt from his email:

Thanks to everybody who reported and fixed bugs in Libevent 2.0.6-rc,
Libevent 2.0.7-rc should be much more stable and portable, especially
for people using IOCP, Windows, rate-limiting, or threads.

There are also numerous small bugfixes thoughout the codebase (though
still not, alas, in the http stuff).

For a complete list of changes, just see the ChangeLog included with
the source distribution.


You can download source code of libevent releases from monkey.org
Categories: Libevent, News
Defined tags for this entry: ,

Anatomy of a PDF Exploit

PDF has become the de-facto standard for formatting print documents. Over the years, it has evolved into a feature rich and very complex system. PDF supports embedded Javascript that can be used for form validation and contains support for different image formats and 3D models, etc. As a result, PDF implementations have numerous vulnerabilities that can be exploit by adversaries to gain control over a user’s computer. Here are a number of CVEs that are currently being exploited in the wild: CVE-2007-5659, CVE-2008-2992, CVE-2009-0927, CVE-2009-2994, CVE-2009-4324, CVE-2010-0188.

In this blog post, we are going to look at current exploitation of CVE-2010-0188: An integer overflow in the parsing of the dot range option in TIFF files. The vulnerability was publicly announced in February 2010. Examples of exploit code are readily available on the Internet and a very good explanation of how the exploit works has been provided by Fortinet.

The exploit described by Fortinet utilizes an AcroForm described in XML. The XML contains an image field with an embedded TIFF image that triggers the vulnerability.

Continue reading "Anatomy of a PDF Exploit"
Categories: Hacking, Malware, Security
Defined tags for this entry: , ,

Heat treating the Wakizashi

Heat treating a sword using a water quench is a tense affair as the sword my crack and many hours of work may be lost. This video shows heat treating a wakizashi I made from forge welded cable that was folded several times. The Japanese differential heat treat calls for coating the back of the blade with a clay layer that retards the quench and allows the covered part of the steel to remain softer. The border between harder and softer steel becomes visible as hamon. Although, the heat treating was successful, the blade developed a welding flaw and at this point it looks like 20 hours of work might have been lost.
Categories: Hacking
Defined tags for this entry: ,

Folding Steel

Folded SteelWhen examining a traditionally forged Japanese sword, the steel structure (hada) often looks like wood grain. This structure is a result of folding and forge welding tamahagane. To simulate such hada without using expensive tamahagane, I took 24in of 1in diameter steel cable and forge welded it into a single piece of steel. That steel was then folded 7 times with some surface manipulation and then forged into a small wakizashi. The picture shows the tang after the scale was removed, polished and then lightly etched to show the grain. The steel structure seems similar to mokume hada. Now, I just need to find the time to shape, heat treat, polish and mount the sword. Expect progress pictures as work permits - probably in a few months.
Categories: Hacking
Defined tags for this entry: , ,

Railroad Spike Knife

Blacksmith KnifeThe is a knife made from a high carbon railroad spike. The blade is flat ground and about 4.5in long. The whole knife is a little bit longer than 10in. The twist in the handle feels nice in the hand. HC in this case apparently means 1030 which is pretty low carbon content for a knife. While it got to be very sharp, the edge is probably not going to stay that way for very long.


Blacksmith Knife (finished)Forging this was a lot of fun and using the spring fuller really helped with separating the steel from the handle and the blade. Making this knife actually didn't take very long. About an hour of forging time, a couple hours of grinding and polishing.

Categories: Hacking
Defined tags for this entry: ,