Skip to content

Bronze Fittings for Wolf's Tooth Dagger



The upper guard and pommel finally arrived. The molds were printed wax which were then cast in bronze. The designs are celtic dog patterns from a book by Aidan Meehan. The fittings for this dagger are now complete now and I need to figure out how to finish the hilt. The options are a simple wooden hilt potentially with some carved patterns or a wooden core wrapped in leather.
Categories: Forge Diaries
Defined tags for this entry: , , , ,

Forge Diaries: Ep. 6: Forging Chest Hardware

We are forging the hardware for a second Mästermyr-like chest. This video includes making nails, hinges, locks straps and a hasp:


The next Forge Diaries episode will be on making a small book shelf. Here is a teasier where we start aligning the scrolls:
Categories: Forge Diaries
Defined tags for this entry: , ,

Forging a Stand for Ear Rings


As a detour to my current spear projects, I recently finished an ear ring stand. The feet were forged from 1/2in round just a couple different punches for the toe nails and a hot chisel for separating the toes. The three feet were then forged welded together at 120 degree angles. The finished product also received the head of three Viking warriors for protection; the heads are somewhat reminiscent to the Lewis chess men.
Categories: Forge Diaries

The pattern-welded spear from Rovaniemi, Marikkovaara.



Here is a comparison of my heat-treated experimental dagger/spear to the famous pattern-welded spear in the Helsinki museum. As I mentioned before the experiment was solely on creating teeth on both sides and in no way meant to be a re-creation. Nonetheless, it seems that at least the spacing of the teeth is pretty comparable. I need to do a few more experiments but I am slowly getting closer to an attempt of recreating this spear. That project will be video documented, so stay tuned.
Categories: Forge Diaries
Defined tags for this entry: , , ,

Refining Wrought Iron


Not much progress at the forge today but I started refining more wrought iron for future experiments. Instead of the high-phosphorous Globe Elevator wrought iron, I am using lower phosphorous wagon tire.

The idea with the refining is to remove impurities by forge welding at high temperatures. I also rotate the pieces against each other so that the grain does not always get forged in the same direction. See Forge Diaries: Episode 5 for more information.
Categories: Forge Diaries
Defined tags for this entry: ,

How I got 5 Million Views on Youtube!


As of today, I have officially reached 5 million views on my Youtube channel. That seems like a large number for blacksmithing videos and something I never expected when I started documenting my exploits. So, let's take a look at the most popular videos.

In 2013, I made a knife for preparing Persian Kabab Barg. This video alone is responsible for almost 2 million views:



A year before that in 2012, I had started working on the Serpent in the Sword. A Viking-era sword with a pattern welded serpent at the core of the blade. At that point, I was also still learning how to mix audio; it was so bad I had to put up an audio remix. The Serpent in the Sword collection of videos accounts for another 2 million views:



At that point, I started spending much more time on video editing but never ended up with another really popular video. I found that pretty ironic. However, in 2013 John and I started experiments with making crucible steel which resulted in a knife with Wootz-like patterning. As of today, this video has a little bit more than one hundred thousand views:


Another video series which documents a complete sword build surprisingly only got a very few views. This is the sword I made for the ChronoBlade game. It was a lot of work and shows all sword making steps in detail but never really got popular.


Those are the mysteries of Youtube! Here is to another 5 million views.
Categories: Forge Diaries
Defined tags for this entry: , , , , ,